“If we take care of Nature, then it will take care of us.” I once heard a fourth grader say. And you can’t argue with that. I mean, humans need the planet more that it needs us (I actually question if it does need us). So, why should we only care about our planet one day a year? We depend on it all year long, 24/7 and should show love and respect for it just as much.
So here are some ways we can reciprocate:
- Plant Carbon Storing Plants. Here are some links to learn about how to decrease or reverse greenhouse gases through gardening: https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/niacs/carbon/forests/carbon_sequestration/ and a link about trees: http://learn.eartheasy.com/2014/01/10-carbon-storing-trees-and-how-to-plant-them/)
- Join a Garden Club or an activist group focused on environment
- Compost. Here’s a video to give you ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj6DLDII5OA
- Walk, Bike or Carpool
- Recycle (don’t forget the electronics as well)
- Share things to cut back on buying rarely used items (save money, space, recycling, etc)
- Fix leaky faucets/toilets to conserve water/money
- Go Paperless when possible (Fact: 100 million trees are destroyed to produce junk mail each year)
- Grow your favorite vegetables – in ground or containers- whatever works for you. Here is a link for ideas: http://www.eatingwell.com/food_news_origins/seasonal_local/gardening/13_easy_to_grow_vegetables_and_herbs
- Stop drinking bottled water to cut back on plastic in the landfills (Fact: Each year we throw out enough plastic to circle Earth 4x)
- Make your yard an oasis for creatures such as birds, bees and butterflies
- Mentor younger generations to grow their own gardens (at home or in the community)
- Make sure your local, state and national representatives know your concerns about the environment by communicating via email, mail, phone, twitter or in person
- GO OUT SIDE – Being in touch with Nature will forge the relationship needed to keep you caring for the planet.
HAPPY EARTH DAY!